Are you a glass half empty or half full type of person? Recent studies suggest that having an optimistic outlook on life can actually have tangible health benefits.
- Better Heart Health - People with a positive outlook on life are twice as likely to have ideal heart health. Scientists suspect that optimists are better equipped to handle stress, shielding them from the damaging effects of anxiety on the heart.
- Less Likely to Get the Cold - A study from the University of Kentucky suggests that optimists are less likely to get sick.
- A Sharper Brain - A Finnish study that tracked people over 8 years found that cynics were more likely to develop dementia.
- Your Medications Will Work Better - The self-fulfilling prophecy theory states, if you believe something will work, it will. According to a University of Oxford study, Opioid painkillers worked twice as well when the people believed they would.
- You'll Live Longer - Multiple studies have shown that people who expect the best actually live longer. Optimistic cancer and heart disease patients survive longer, as well.
Share this post